is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any state government agency.
Notice is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree” you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy agree not to use information provided by for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual’s eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by responsibly.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree”, will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

Alabama Court Records is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the FCRA and does not provide consumer reports. All searches conducted on are subject to the Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.


What Are Alabama Inmate Records?

Alabama inmate records refer to documents on inmates housed in the state detention centers, county or city jails, and other correctional facilities within the state. Inmate records are generated from the arrest and court records of inmates in the state. Generally, the following information is included in inmate records:

  • Inmate Alabama Institutional Serial (a six-digit number assigned to each inmate under the ADOC)
  • First and last names of the inmate, alongside known aliases
  • The date of birth of the inmate
  • Sex
  • Mugshot
  • Fingerprints
  • Crime charges 
  • Prison term of the inmate, including the date of imprisonment and when the inmate will be acquitted from prison 
  • The location of the correctional facility where the inmate is serving time
  • Bail and bond requirements, if any 

According to Section 36–12–40 of the Alabama state statutes, inmate records are open and may be obtained by the general public. The Alabama Department of Corrections, the state’s repository, maintains an online database of inmate records. These records are also available at the sheriff’s offices in counties across the state. The Alabama Department of Corrections is responsible for the administration of Alabama state prisons. At the same time, the sheriff’s office in each county administers the jails in the county.

Interested persons may access copies of an Alabama inmate record by querying the appropriate prison administration in person, by mail, or online, by checking on the county sheriff’s website.

How To Find An Inmate In Alabama?

Persons seeking to locate inmates currently detained in state prisons and correctional centers may use the Inmate Search provided by the Alabama Department of Corrections (ADOC). Here, interested persons may search using the inmate’s first name, last name, or AIS (Alabama Institutional Serial) number. These options may be used individually or together, depending on the availability of information. The search result page provides a list of names that match the details provided by the searcher. Individuals may also contact the ADOC at:

301 S. Ripley Street 

P. O. Box 301501 

Montgomery, Alabama 36104.

Phone number: 334–353–3883 (Central Office Switchboard)

Also, individuals may contact the local arresting agency or county sheriff in the county where the offender was convicted, to inquire about an inmate. There is a search portal maintained by the local jail administrator or county sheriff in most counties, where interested persons may search inmate information. For example, interested persons may find inmate information for persons detained in Marion, Marshall, Jackson, and Shelby counties, on the Marion County Jail Roster, Marshall County Jail Roster, Jackson County Jail Roster, and Shelby County Jail Roster, respectively.

How To Find A Federal Inmate In Alabama?

Interested persons may find a federal inmate in any of the four federal facilities in Alabama by searching with the inmate locator on the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) website. The search portal provides information on federal inmates incarcerated from 1982 to date, while the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) provides information on federal inmates detained before 1982. Note that NARA records area for inmates incarcerated between 1870 and 1981.

Interested persons may use the BOP’s search portal to search either by a registration number or by name. For a name search, fill out the inmate’s first, middle, and last name, as these fields are required. The other fields, namely sex, age, and race of the inmate, may also be filled to help narrow down the search results.

For a search conducted by a registration number, interested persons are required to provide any of the following registration numbers: 

  • Department of Corrections (DCDC) number 
  • Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) number
  • Bureau of Prisons (BOP) register number
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) number 

A search conducted with a number mostly provides a more specific result, as no two inmates are given the same number. Hence, the registration number assigned to each inmate is unique to them.

How Do I Find Inmate Records In Alabama?

The Alabama Department of Corrections (ADOC) maintains and provides access to inmate records in Alabama. Persons seeking inmate records may use the online Inmate Search maintained by the Alabama Department of Corrections (ADOC). The ADOC Inmate Search portal does not include information on inmates detained under the Youthful Offender Act.

To use this method, provide the inmate’s AIS (Alabama Institutional Serial) number, first name, or last name. Searching with the inmate’s fist or last name produces results with similar or exact names. However, the inmate’s AIS number provides more specific records.

For certified inmate records, requestors may complete the Public Records Request Form. The completed form and the processing fee may be mailed to ADOC at:

Attn: Research & Planning Division, 

P. O. Box 301501, 

Montgomery, Alabama 36130–1501

For in-person requests, submit the completed form and processing fee to:

ADOC Central Office, 

Attn: Research & Planning Division, 

301 S. Ripley Street 

P. O. Box 301501 

Montgomery, Alabama 36104.

Phone number: 334–353–3883 (Central Office Switchboard)

The processing fee is a minimum of $25.00 and is non-refundable. For more inquiries about public record requests, reach out to the ADOC by email at Submissions by fax or telephone will not be accepted.

Depending on the method in which the inmate records are stored, the records requested may be available for copying or viewing. When the requested records are available, the ADOC Research and Planning Division will notify the requestor, who will then schedule an in-person appointment. Here, the requestor may make copies of the record after viewing it. However, copy fees may apply. Requestors may schedule appointments between Monday and Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 

For county inmates, requestors may send requests to the sheriff’s offices in the county where the inmate is detained. The Alabama Sheriffs Association website provides a list of Alabama Sheriffs in the state. Generally, large Alabama counties have online jail rosters where interested persons may search for county jail inmate records.

Records that are considered public may be accessible from some third-party websites. These websites often make searching simpler, as they are not limited by geographic location, and search engines on these sites may help when starting a search for a specific or multiple records. To begin using such a search engine on a third-party or government website, interested parties usually must provide:

  • The name of the person involved in the record, unless said person is a juvenile
  • The location or assumed location of the record or person involved. This includes information such as the city, county, or state that the person resides in or was accused in

Third-party sites are independent of government sources and are not sponsored by these government agencies. Because of this, record availability on third-party sites may vary.

How To Put Money On Jail Inmates Book In Alabama?

The Alabama Department of Corrections (ADOC) permits family and friends to send money to an inmate’s account through Access Secure Deposits. Interested persons may create an account on the website or call (866) 345–1884 for directives. Payments are accepted via debit or credit cards from Visa or MasterCard.

Interested persons may make payment using any of these four methods:

  • Online at Access Secure Deposits Online: Create an online account and print out a deposit coupon or request a coupon at any of the facilities. Payments should be made via a debit or credit card. Note that transaction charges may apply. 
  • By Phone: Call (866) 345–1884 to make a payment. This method is available 24/7 and requires a debit or credit card.
  • Walk-in payment with cash: Visit any of the Cash Pay Today locations or call 844–340-CASH(2274) to set up an account and pick a close location to make payments.
  • Mail-in payment by money order: Send a money order and a deposit coupon available at the facility or the Access Secure Deposits website. Mail the money order and deposit coupon to:

Secure Deposits—Alabama DOC

PO Box 12486

St. Louis, MO 63132

The fee deducted from the total deposited amount for online payments is as follows:

$2.95 charge for 

  • $0.01 - $25.00                 
  • $5.95 charge for $25.01 - $100.00 
  • $7.95 for $100.01 - $300.00  

The fee deducted from the total deposited amount for phone payments is as follows:

$3.50 charge for 

  • $0.01 - $25.00                 
  • $6.50 charge for $25.01 - $100.00 
  • $8.50 for $100.01 - $200.00  
  • $9.00 for $200.01 - $300.00  

The fee deducted from the total deposited amount for walk-in payments is as follows:

$5.00 charge for 

  • $0.01 - $25.00
  • $5.00 charge for $25.01 - $100.00 
  • $5.00 for $100.01 - $200.00  
  • $5.00 for $200.01 - $300.00             

There is no charge for mail-in money order payments.

For deposits to inmates in county jails, payment methods may vary between counties. Regardless, most counties offer methods such as the jail lobby kiosk and through electronic payments. Interested persons may contact the sheriff in charge of the county jail to make inquiries.

  • Criminal Records
  • Arrests Records
  • Warrants
  • Driving Violations
  • Inmate Records
  • Felonies
  • Misdemeanors
  • Bankruptcies
  • Tax & Property Liens
  • Civil Judgements
  • Federal Dockets
  • Probate Records
  • Marriage Records
  • Divorce Records
  • Death Records
  • Property Records
  • Asset Records
  • Business Ownership
  • Professional Licenses
  • And More!